Sunday, August 7, 2011

O.K., really quick like . . .


Since I've already driven home today from a family reunion in Ohio with the youngest three (the olders and SP are at Cedar Point), cut the grass and set up an obstacle course for tomorrow's birthday party (it had better N.O.T. rain!!), I thought I'd decompress on the ol' computer.

Today's July event is a look at houses I grew up in, and even one my former babysitter/family friends used to live in (now THAT there is some good sharing my friends).
(-:

Good ol' Purlingbrook house.
I forgot to take a picture but Lara snapped one for me.
(double click for a closer look)
I loaded up the kids one day for a big field trip to the old neighborhood.
I parked the car on the street right outside the house and we planned to walk to my old elementary school so they could see what it was like to be a "walker." No walking to their school so I thought they might find it interesting (they humored me, but did appear to have fun with all the silliness they had with each other...that eventually gave me a headache by the end of the day).
Anyway...
On our walk we knocked on a red front door from my youth and ended up visiting with Mrs. Frechette (here's one of her son's blogs) for about an hour. Now, to say I was able to visit someone for an hour with all five kids, you have no idea what an accomplishment that was. They did great and it was a big bonus that she had a yard set up for grandkids.

From there, with my schedule off by an hour, we sidetracked my elementary school walk for a stop at Cantoro's for a lunch of pizza bread, followed by a walk over the Middlebelt bridge (where we must have been quite a show with Lara and Ben on one end of the double stroller and me on the other, lifting and hauling Livia up and down the sets of stairs, hahahahaha!) and finally through the high school lot over to the Grandview playground for a bit of fun. Whew!

I think it was a great trip to take during "tech-free July," headache at the end and all.

Next . . . .

It turned out that my decision to go north on Evergreen to avoid construction, after picking Ben up from hockey camp in Dearborn, had me driving a few blocks away from the house I lived in from birth to age five. Here's a little looksee:

Detroit House.
I called my brother after driving through the neighborhood to let him know of a two bedroom for sale for $5,450. Sad state of affairs, but I was fascinated with the area.



I'm wondering if that pink paint on the garage was from the early 70's?
Trying to think of who may have lived there after we moved to have chosen pink paint?


And now, I was told the white house on the corner was our friend's old house.
This it?
Very cool house indeed.

Vacant now though.


Well, not as quick a post as I thought, computer time never is as short as you'd hope I find, thus another great thing about not getting on in the first place, but here I am anyway. (-:

No comments: